Fortress of Smederevo
Smederevo Fortress has been described as one of the most striking and monumental pieces of architecture surviving from medieval Serbia. It is one of the largest fortresses in Europe. The modern founder of the city was the the last Serbian prince Djuradj Brankovic, who built Smederevo Fortress in 1430 as the new Serbian capital.
Amidst the turbulence of the Ottoman conquest of the Balkans in the early 15th century, the region's Christian rulers lost several battles. Despot Stefan Lazarevic had to maintain the Serbian Despotate in a delicate balance between Hungarians and Ottomans. Around 1403, he accepted the Hungarian vassalage and established the new capital in Belgrade, which was ceded to him as an award. After Stefan's death in 1426, his nephew and successor Djuradj Brankovic, had to return Belgrade to the Hungarians.To compensate for this loss, Djuradj decided to build a new capital, and the choice fell to Smederevo. During the time of Despot's reign Smederevo was th centre of political, economical and cultural life of medieval Serbia.
In early June 1439, led by Murat II, 130,000 Turkish soldiers occupied the hills around Smederevo, but Smederevo withstood the attack, even when Murat brought in cannons. In 1453, Sultan Mehmed II and lead another attack on Smederevo. Despite having only 6,000 men, compared to the Ottoman's 20,000, the city withstood.
In 1459, Smederevo was captured by the Ottomans, leading to the end of the medieval Serbian state. It was liberated by Turkish rule 400 years later, in 1867.
In 1941, explosion of the German munition located in the town caused great destruction of the city and the antique fortress.
Fortress is located close to central square of Smederevo.
East Serbia Travel Map
Podeli ovu stranicu sa prijateljima