Manasija (Resava) monastery is one of the most significant monuments of Serbian medieval culture and belongs to the socalled “Moravian school”. It was built by despot Stefan Lazarevic between 1407 and 1418. Immediatelly after its foundation, Manasija became a cultural centre of the Despot state. The “Resava school” was famous for its translations and handwritings – even after the fall of the state, throughout the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries.
The monastery complex consists of:
- the church
- the great refectory
- the fortress with 11 towers, the greatest of which is the “Despot’s tower”
During the centuries of captivity by the Turks, the monastery was damaged and robbed. The lead roof of the church was taken away, so that the roof leaked for more than a century and consequently 2/3 of the frescoes were totally ruined.
Manasija was robbed and damaged the Turks in 1439, 1456, 1476 and 1734. Although severaly damaged, the painting style of Manasija's frescoes belongs to the masterpieces of the medieval wall – painting. The Institute for Protection of Cultural Monuments in Serbia undertook in 1956 an extensive coservation and restauration programme. The restauration of the church, the refectory and “Despot’s tower” has already been completed. The conservation of the outside walls and other towers is underway.
Podeli ovu stranicu sa prijateljima